· By PYM STORE
4 Best Nootropics for Focus and Motivation
If you've been struggling with poor focus and looking for ways to overcome procrastination, chances are you've stumbled upon someone talking about "nootropics" for focus and motivation.
But do nootropics really work? What are nootropics exactly, and how can they help with focus and motivation? This article explains nootropics and which ones are good for overcoming procrastination and improving focus, memory, and motivation.
What are nootropics?
Nootropics, often referred to as "smart drugs" or "cognitive enhancers," are substances that people use to potentially enhance cognitive functions such as memory, concentration, creativity, and overall mental performance. These substances can include a wide range of compounds, including amino acids, natural herbs, synthetic chemicals, and even certain dietary supplements.
Fun fact, the word "nootropics" literally means "mind-turning" or "mind-changing". It is derived from two Greek words; "nous" (νοῦς) translates to "mind" and "tropos" translates to "turn" or "change."
The term "nootropic" was coined by Dr. Corneliu E. Giurgea in the 1970s. He defined nootropics as substances that meet the following criteria:
- Enhance Memory and Learning: Nootropics should improve the ability to acquire and retain information.
- Improve Brain Function: They should have a positive effect on various aspects of brain function, including focus, attention, and mental clarity.
- Protect the Brain: Nootropics should have neuroprotective properties, potentially safeguarding the brain against damage and cognitive decline.
- Low Risk of Side Effects: They should have minimal side effects and a low potential for toxicity.
- Non-Sedative: Nootropics should not have a sedative effect and should ideally promote wakefulness and alertness.
How do nootropics help with focus and motivation?
There are several different kinds of nootropics that address focus and motivation in varying ways. Let's explore the three most popular you'll find in many supplements for focus and motivation.
Herbal Nootropics: Natural substances like ginkgo biloba, Bacopa monnieri, and Rhodiola rosea are believed to have cognitive-enhancing effects. These herbs may work by improving blood flow to the brain, reducing inflammation, and supporting brain health.
Adaptogens: These are natural substances like ashwagandha and Rhodiola rosea that help the body adapt to stress and may indirectly support cognitive function by reducing stress-related cognitive impairment.
Why Amino Acids over Herbal Nootropics and Adaptogens for focus and motivation?
It's important to highlight that herbal nootropics and adaptogens mainly offer indirect support for energy, focus and motivation. They don't directly enhance cognition, but rather offer benefits like reducing inflammation and stress, which is beneficial for brain health.
Herbs and adaptogens also have varying effects on people. Some people experience minimal side effects, while some may experience headaches, dizziness, anxiousness, or nausea.
Herbs and adaptogens are generally recommended to be used only in the short-term (6-8 weeks), because your body can build up a resistance to them.
Amino acids on the other hand, directly support focus and motivation by naturally regulating dopamine levels.
Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is part of our brain's reward system. Low dopamine levels leaves us feeling unmotivated, unfocused, forgetful, and unproductive.
Unlike herbs and adaptogens, amino acids are naturally occurring substances in our bodies. This can reduce the chances of side effects because your body actually recognizes amino acids, rather than seeing them as a "foreign invader" and triggering an autoimmune response.
4 best nootropics for focus and motivation
So if you really want to overcome procrastination and skyrocket your productivity and focus, amino acids are the way to go! Here are the best amino acids for focus and motivation specifically:
- N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: L-Tyrosine is a precursor to dopamine. It is thought to help increase dopamine levels by providing the body with the building blocks it needs to make dopamine.
- Taurine: Taurine is an amino acid that is found in high concentrations in the brain. It has been shown to improve focus and concentration by reducing anxiety and stress.
- L-Theanine: L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea. It has been shown to improve focus and concentration by increasing alpha brain waves.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl: L-Carnitine is an amino acid that helps to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria, where they can be burned for energy. It is thought to help improve focus and motivation by providing the brain with more energy.
Attention Chews for Procrastination, Productivity and Focus
Attention Chews are supplements formulated with all the amino acids, vitamins and minerals your body needs to produce dopamine. Attention Chews support with procrastination, focus and motivation, helping you to boost your mood and conquer your to-do's!
*Please consult with your healthcare provider before trying any natural supplements. This article does not intend to diagnose or treat any condition.